Tuesday, September 1, 2020

"Bonus Dye"

7/18/20  I am including the date because I will probably publish this post as I design and finish a few pair of Woolie Socks.
Materials: 200grams of fingering yarn, cups of dye from 3 packets of PAAS egg dye, string for ties, glass containers, water, vinegar, rubber gloves, microwave-safe dish.
Additional supplies: measuring cups, cookie sheet, microwave, cooling rack, sink, tablecloth, apron, towel.
Resource:SOCKS, SOCKS, SOCKS; Edited by Elaine Rowley, (1998) 2007, p72, Dye-Your-Own Socks by Traci Bunkers.
ChemKnits Tutorials
Swatching Different PAAS Easter Egg Dyeing Kits on Yarn (2020 SMSMS Night 1)

TODAY, I had cups of dye remaining from another project, Dyeing a Rainbow .   
I also had two more hanks of fingering yarn presoaking for 30 minutes in 4 cups water & 1/2 cup vinegar, and ready to dye. I carefully squeezed out the excess presoak solution, and placed the yarn in glass cake pans.

I placed one hank of yarn in a glass cake pan.  I poured in the yellow dye.  Then I added the blue and green cups of dye.
I placed the other hank of yarn in the another cake pan.  I poured in orange, red and pink cups of dye.    I let the yarn sit in the dye for 30 minutes.

I removed the yarn from the cake pans, and placed the yarn in small plastic bags and a microwave-safe container.   I microwaved for 2 minutes, let it rest for 2 minutes.  Repeated this 4 more times.
I let the yarn cool for an hour.  I rinsed, washed with a little dish soap&water, and rinsed again.




I rolled the yarn in a towel, then placed it on a drying rack to dry!










































 

Copyright 2020, Marilynn Blacketer. All rights reserved. 9-1-20

For pattern support please contact: marilynnblacketer@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment