Thursday, May 6, 2021

Sun Dyed Yarn


The 5 hanks of Knit Picks bare Stroll fingering arrived!  I tied each hank with a couple more ties.  Our weather was beautiful, so I took the process outside. 


Supplies & Process:

Soaked 5 hanks of bare fingering in 8c water& 1c vinegar for 30 minutes.
Gathered jars, food color, gloves, table cloth, apron.
Boiled big pot of water....carefully carried that to the garden.
In jam jars: 1/4c vinegar & 3/4c water, added 10drops food color.
 


In quart jars: (I kept yarn wet with the soak) Placed 1/4hank into one jar, 3/4hank into the next.  I was mindful of the color wheel as I added the color solutions: green, blue, purple, red, yellow.... brings you back to green.  
Then topped off each jar with another cup of water.  
Now, I let the yarn & dye enjoy the sun for an hour!
At an hour, I  placed the red yarn into a bowl, added 10 drops more of red to the remaining solution, and placed the yellow yarn tail in there. I was feeling I had some errors in logic, but moved to the purple... final decision, 10 more drops of color to each jar and one hank of yarn in each jar.  yellow&red, purple&blue, blue&green, green&yellow, so red&purple.  I let the project enjoy the sun another hour.  
After that hour, I removed each hank of yarn, added 10drops more food color and a splash of vinegar, and placed the yarn back into the jar.  The yarn would enjoy an hour or more in the sun because it was time to take a walk.

An hour later, I squeezed out the excess water while I was outside. Then into the kitchen for 2mins. micro & 2mins. rest. I did this twice for each hank. I made a tally chart to keep track of the yarn going in and out.  The yarn cooled while we ate dinner, then rinsed!  
The yarn rinsed well, no bleeding.  I added a drop of dish soap, and rinsed again.  I rolled it in a few towels and placed it on a sweater rack (with a fan blowing) to dry.  
Once the yarn is dry, it will be held with Knit Picks Wool of the Andes worsted weight to knit Woolie Socks for Wool-Aid



No comments:

Post a Comment