Monday, April 15, 2019

Knit a BLANK and dye!

Taking inspiration from ChemKnits YouTube Videos,  I purchased two boxes of  PAAS Classic to dye a hank of KnitPicksStroll Fingering, 75%Superwash Wool/25%Nylon,  437yards/100grams, color Natural. 
Resources: ChemKnits
SOCKS, SOCKS, SOCKS; Edited by Elaine Rowley, (1998) 2007, p72, Dye-Your-Own Socks by Traci Bunkers.    I've had the book since 2008, and use it as a good recipe.
Also check out: ChemKnitsCreations Etsy Shop to enjoy/purchase her beautifully dyed yarns!

Supplies: bare yarn, microwave-safe dish, 2 PAAS Classic Egg Decorating Kits, water, vinegar, cookie sheet, rubber gloves
Additional Supplies:  measuring cups, bowl, microwave, sink, tablecloth, apron, towels.



BUT first, I wanted to knit a BLANK because I wanted to create a gradient yarn. 
I wound the hank of yarn into a ball. With 10mm, 16" circular needles, I held short tails together to work the yarn from the inside&out.  I worked the knitted cast-on to cast-on 100stitches.  I carefully joined the work to knit in the round. KNIT 50 rounds. With 5yards yarn remaining, I used a simple bind-off, and secured the last loop&tail with a locking stitch marker. It was a rainy day, and this project took about 5 hours.




 Let me repeat myself:
Taking inspiration from ChemKnits YouTube Videos, I purchased two boxes of  PAAS Classic to dye a hank of KnitPicks Stroll Fingering, 75%Superwash Wool / 25%Nylon,  462yards/100grams, color Natural.  I gathered the supplies, and got started.  The project took a couple hours, clean up was nothing more than washing a few dishes, and I had a good time.
Resources: ChemKnits
SOCKS, SOCKS, SOCKS; Edited by Elaine Rowley, (1998) 2007, p72, Dye-Your-Own Socks by Traci Bunkers.    I've had the book since 2008, and use it as a good recipe.
Also check out: ChemKnitsCreations Etsy Shop to enjoy/purchase her beautifully dyed yarns!
Supplies: bare yarn, microwave-safe dish, 2 PAAS Classic Egg Decorating Kits, water, vinegar, cookie sheet, rubber gloves
Additional Supplies:  measuring cups, bowl, food color, microwave, sink, tablecloth, apron, towels.

Here are photos of the process:
I gathered supplies, and removed most of the hanging stitch markers.  I presoaked the blank for 30 minutes in 2 cups water & 1/2 cup vinegar.
I gently squeezed out the water&vinegar, and I folded the blank vertically. Four layers of  double stranded knitted blank fit in the cookie sheet. Remembering the color wheel or a rainbow, I started with the blue.  I placed one tablet on the top left, and the matching tablet on the underside to the right.   I added a 1/2cup of the water&vinegar solution. I let that sit for 10minutes. Then added the green tablets, with another 1/2cup water&vinegar. I let it sit 10 more minutes.

I mixed an additional 2cups water& 1/2vinegar.  It was time to introduce the yellow, solution, 10minutes.  Then added the orange, solution, and 10minutes.
I added both red & pink tablets and remaining solution.  There was plenty of liquid, and I tipped the work toward the blue just to help with the green running/bleeding. 

I leveled things out, and let it sit for 1.5 hours.
I rolled the blank vertically.  Yes, there was still dye available.
I coiled the work into a small glass pan.  I microwaved 2 minutes, let it cool 2 minutes. I did that 5 times.  I let it cool for an hour. 

I rinsed.  I didn't see bleeding, I think the color was reflection.  I added a little dish soap, and rinsed again. 
I placed it on a towel to dry! 

Copyright 2019, Marilynn Blacketer. All rights reserved. 4-9-19
For pattern support please contact: marilynnblacketer@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment