Monday, February 18, 2019

Dyed!

2/19/19
Taking inspiration from ChemKnits YouTube Videos, and the supermarket's desire to leap from one holiday to the next, I purchased two boxes of  PAAS Classic to dye a hank of KnitPicks Chroma Twist, 70%Superwash Wool/30%Nylon,  437yards/100grams, color Natural.  This yarn had been hibernating in my stash. I gathered the supplies, and got started.  The project took a couple hours, clean up was nothing more than washing a few dishes, and I had a good time.
Resources: ChemKnits
SOCKS, SOCKS, SOCKS; Edited by Elaine Rowley, (1998) 2007, p72, Dye-Your-Own Socks by Traci Bunkers.    I've had the book since 2008, and use it as a good recipe.
Also check out: ChemKnitsCreations Etsy Shop to enjoy/purchase her beautifully dyed yarns!
Supplies: bare yarn, microwave-safe dish, 2 PAAS Classic Egg Decorating Kits, water, vinegar, cookie sheet w/cling wrap, rubber gloves
Additional Supplies: string, measuring cups, bowl, food color, microwave, sink, tablecloth, apron, towels.

I gathered supplies.
I added 4 ties to the yarn, and  pre-soaked the yarn for an hour in 2cups warm water & 1/2cup vinegar.
I sorted the dye tablets on a paper towel and placed 1 of each color on the protected baking sheet. (Next time, I'll remember my color wheel and place the colors blue, green, yellow, and reds!)
I gently removed some of the pre-soak water, and  placed the yarn on the tablets. I placed a matching tablet in top of the yarn.  I warmed the remaining pre-soak water in the microwave for 30seconds, then gently poured it over the yarn.  I also warmed 2cups water & 1/2cup vinegar to add to the process. 
The yarn sat for an hour.  (Yes, I did a little poking and spooning dye.)
The yarn looks pretty good in the photo, but I was not happy with the red. 
I gathered some McCormick food dye to over-dyed the red.  With 1cup warm water, 1/4cup vinegar, and 25drops of red, I dipped that portion of the yarn into the solution for 10 minutes.
Now that I looked at it, the pink could also be more saturated. With 1cup warm water, 1/4cup vinegar, and 10drops of NEON pink, I dipped that portion of the yarn into the solution for 10 minutes.
I forgot to take photos of the yarn in an 8"x8"glass baking dish going into the microwave for 2minutes, and out for 2minutes.  I did this 3 times. Color was still releasing when gently squeezed, but I didn't want to overcook the yarn.

The yarn cooled while I typed this blog post.
I rinsed and gently washed the yarn with a little dish soap.
The yarn will dry on a towel with a small fan circulating the room air.
The yarn is very colorful, and I'm excited to start a pair of  socks tomorrow!

Copyright 2019, Marilynn Blacketer. All rights reserved. 2-18-19

No comments:

Post a Comment