Saturday, January 9, 2016

D'Stash Bag

2016 had arrived, and it was time to look at the yarn stash.  I looked, weighed, recorded, and joined Ravelry group Stash Control 2016.  Then I pulled some wool yarn out of the closet, and started my first de-stashing project of the new year.

D'Stash Bag
300 grams of worsted weight 100% wool suitable for felting.

 With US size 11, 24” needles, cast-on 120 stitches, place marker, join to work in the round.

Rnds 1-10: Knit
Rnd 11: Knit 20, bind-off 20, knit 40, bind-off 20, knit 20
Rnd 12: Knit 20, cast-on 20, knit 40, cast-on 20, knit 20 (creating handles)
Continue to knit, joining another strand of yarn as needed by holding new&old together for 4 stitches.
With 20grams of yarn remaining, start base decreases as follows:
Rnd 1: Knit 4, k2tog(knit two stitches together); repeat to end
Rnds 2- 6 even: Knit
Rnd 3: Knit 3, k2tog; repeat to end
Rnd 5: Knit 2, k2tog; repeat to end
Rnd 7: Knit 1, k2tog; repeat to end (40sts remain, 20stitches on 2 needles)
Three needle bind-off , or Kitchener Stitch.
Finishing: Weave in tails. Place in mesh bag, and felt for 30 minutes. Shape, trim tails, and let dry.
I added the flower from itty-bitty hats, by Susan B. Anderson, “felted flower child”, p89, and attached it with 3 orange french knots.

I'd like to share photos of the process: 

I selected wool, decided I'd start with magenta, and complete the project with reds and browns.
I placed most of the yarn in a narrow bag, and started.
I clipped green and orange markers to mark the beginning and end of the bind-offs creating handles .
The markers were also helpful to note the cast-on following the handle shaping.

I continued to knit until I had about 20grams of yarn remaining.
I worked decreases, and used a 3needle bind-off to close the bottom of the bag.
I took the time to weave in the tails. The bag measured: 19" wide, 21" height.  I placed the work in a mess bag, and into the top loading washer with hot water for 30 minutes. The darker yellow yarn was acrylic, oops!  I solved that problem by securing that work with brown wool whip stitches, (Yes, the blue was acrylic, too.  I worked red wool through those with a running stitch.) I put the bag  back in the washer for another 30 minutes.
finished size: flat & folded 9", open circumference 30", 11"height
 The next morning, I added the flower from itty-bitty hats, by Susan B. Anderson, “felted flower child”, p89, and attached it with 3 orange french knots.
This pattern is available on
Copyright 2016, Marilynn Blacketer. All rights reserved. 1-9-16
For pattern support please contact:

No comments:

Post a Comment