Sunday, March 1, 2015

Pi Apple Pie 3/14/15, 9:26:5a.m. & p.m.

Pi π            I found inspiration for this pie while reading AARP, Feb/March 2015, p11,
STAND BY FOR PIE “After a 100-year wait! March 14 offers math geeks - and pastry lovers – a once-in-a-century pleasure. On 3/14/15 at 9:26:53a.m. (and p.m.!) the date and time will reflect the first 10 digits of the mathematical constant pi (π). Many bakeries and pizza shops will have specials to make the day. Princeton University will hold an Albert Einstein look-alike contest.”

This apple pie recipe is a companion to the Pi Ripples Hat. I'd give you a ripple recipe, if I knew one.  I'm sure it would be delightfully delicious, but apple, berry, and pumpkin pies are as exciting/delicious as we get!  Preheat oven to 375F.  Let's start with the crust. 
Beth's no mess Pie Crust
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil
scant 1/2 cup cold milk
Mix salt & flour.  Add milk to oil & stir into flour all at once.  
Roll out crust between 2 pieces of wax paper.  

Fruit Crumble            Today it's apple!     8 to 12 pieces of fruit, or 6 pints of berries
8 apples
1 Tbs cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
Wash, peel, slice apples. In a large bowl, place apples, add cinnamon & nutmeg.  Toss.
(Wash berries, place in a large bowl, add cinnamon & nutmeg.  Toss.)
Crumble
1 cup almond flour
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup oats
1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1Tbs cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup oil
In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Add oil & stir.

Place crust into pie plate.  Add fruit mixture, and crumble the top with crumble.
Today, I reserved some "crust" to create the π embellishment for the top of the pie.

Cover with foil, and bake 375F for 45 minutes.  Uncover, bake 15 minutes more. 
  
Let me share photos of the process: 

I assembled the supplies and ingredients.  I didn't use the vanilla or honey.  I also needed 3 bowls and foil.
 2 cup flour, 1/2cup oil & 1/2 cup milk, salt;  mixed.
I folded the wax paper, marking the center and "radius".  I also folded up the extra bit on the end.  
I rolled out the dough, removed the top waxed paper, and placed the pie plate upside-down on top.
I carefully lifted an edge, and flipped the plate and crust over.
I remove the waxed paper and crimped the edge of the crust.  No mess!


8 apples, 1Tbs cinnamon, 1tsp nutmeg; tossed

1 cup almond flour,1 cup chopped walnuts, 1 cup oats,1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar, 1Tbs cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup oil
In a large bowl, mixed the dry ingredients. Added oil & stirred.
I placed apple filling in crust.
I crumbled the crumble on top.

I rolled out the reserved dough, clicked Google images, found, and printed the "π".
I rolled out the dough, trimmed the paper, set the "π" in place, and trimmed the dough
I trimmed "π" in a couple passes.
I removed the waxed paper, and placed the "π" embellishment on top of the crumble.  Covered the pie with foil, and baked in a 375F oven for 45 minutes. When I checked the pie, the crust and crumble were brown so I left the foil in place, and baked at 375F another 15 minutes.
The pie cooled.
Apple Crumble Pie π, and Pi π Ripple Hats.  Pattern available at marilynnsgardenknitdesign.blogspot.com and Ravelry.com (login needed)



No comments:

Post a Comment