Saturday, October 25, 2014

Sock Yarn Kool-Aid Dyeing

10/16/14      This summer, I enjoyed working on tie-dyed projects outside, in the NH sunshine with my daughter & grandkids.  With that experience, knew I had the confidence to try the Kool-Aid dyeing process on bare yarn, in my kitchen, here in Oregon.  I gathered the supplies, and got started.

The project took a couple hours, clean up was nothing more than washing a few dishes, and I had a good time.


Resource:SOCKS, SOCKS, SOCKS; Edited by Elaine Rowley, (1998) 2007, p72, Dye-Your-Own Socks by Traci Bunkers.    I've had the book since 2008, and finally decided to give this project go!

I also ran a Google search: "Kool-Aid yarn dyeing", and found an
Additional Resource:  Dyed in Wool , by Kristi Porter, Knitty.com

Supplies: bare yarn, microwave-safe dish, powdered drink mixes, mixing containers, tools to apply the dye, water, vinegar, rubber gloves.
Additional Supplies: string, measuring cups, bowl, cookie sheet w/parchment, food color, microwave, cooling rack, sink, tablecloth, apron, washing machine, towel.

I had the directions available, and gathered the recommended supplies. I also had the "crafting" tablecloth at hand. 
As I unwrapped the hank of bare yarn, I knew I wanted to secure the rounds in a couple, really 4 more places.  I used cotton kitchen string to tie the additional bands around the yarn.
Once the yarn was secured, I placed it in a bowl with 2 cups warm water and 1/2 cup vinegar.   While the yarn was soaking, I prepared the drink mixes.
The yarn soaked, and the drink mixes were prepared.  I mixed two packets (one flavor) in 1/2 cup warm water.
I carefully squeezed the excess water from the soaked yarn, and placed the yarn on a cookie sheet w/parchment.  I used a very old cookie sheet, and lined it with parchment to have a white surface. Using the Chef's Condiment Dispenser, I first applied the lemon yellow, and was disappointed because the color/liquid didn't go very far.  I then applied the cherry red with better results, but I didn't have the coverage I wanted.  I was looking at the colorful crafting tablecloth and said, "Why not try food color just like the grandkids used for Easter Eggs?"
The "egg dye" recipes are on the back.  I selected yellow and dusty rose.
Using the Chef's Condiment Dispenser, I applies the "egg" dye. I was much happier with the coverage.
I squeezed out some excess water, I placed the dyed yarn into the microwave-safe dish.
I placed the yarn and dish in the microwave.  The directions said to "cook" for 2 minutes. Let it rest for 2 minutes. Flip the yarn over, and "cook" for 2 more minutes.  If the color wasn't set, let it rest, and "cook" it again.  I "cooked" it again, why not?  Then I set the dish on a cooling rack, and let everything cool. 
I rinsed the yarn in the sink, no excess color rinsed out.
The author suggested putting the yarn into the washer, and running the spin cycle.  I did that.   I have a top loading washer because I like to craft!
I placed the the yarn on a towel to dry.  It was outside for the photo, I brought it inside to dry.

It will be a few days before I can wind the yarn into balls, and start the socks.  I'll work on another project until then.

10/19/14
I moved the yarn inside, and hung it on the back of a door to swing over a heater vent.
I finished another project, and set up for the Socks-Take 5!
It was time to wind the yarn into two balls.  I do not have a swift, and the back of the chair works well.
I wound the yarn around my fingers, then continue to wind the ball with a finger inserted just to keep it winding loosely.
I have a (kitchen) scale that I use only for yarn.  One ball was ready.
Both balls were wound, and I'd cast on for the two socks. 
This was a great project!  I really enjoyed taking the time to dye my own yarn!
If you're still with me, please follow the post for Socks-Take 5 Kool-Aid as I knit the socks.



No comments:

Post a Comment